Monday, November 1, 2010

Prematurity Awareness month

November is prematurity awareness month. I've been thinking for awhile what I wanted to post for this month. Everyone who reads this blog knows our story (I think) and knows why prematurity is close to our hearts. Prematurity is bigger than just our story though - MUCH bigger. I'm afraid to be honest. I'm afraid that if the awareness isn't raised in this country that these tiny babys born too soon will be determined to be not worth the investment. Not worth the cost involved in saving them. These children, can not fight for themselves, we must fight for them. I believe they're worth the fight. I believe better outcomes can be achieved. I believe these tiny babies are full of potential, and hopefully we'll give them a chance at a long life to prove it. More than that I believe we can do a better job at fighting and treating the causes of the premature births, and keep these babies baking longer where they belong!

OK, so some facts:
Every year more than 1/2 a million babies (1 in 8) are born prematurely in the united states.
That number is up 30% since 1981
Prematurity is the number one killer of newborns

76% of babies born at 24 weeks today survive
By 28 weeks 90% survive
Of babies born before the age of 28weeks, 25% will have serious lasting disabilities.
50% MAY have milder problems such as learning disabilities or behavioral problems

This information comes from the March of Dimes web page.

Why are these numbers important? I see more and more TV shows, articles, and hear discussions about premature infants and the extrememly premature that not only have statements/scenes/comments that hurt and appal me, but are just plain incorrect. A while back an episode of Private Practice aired where a mother gave birth to a 25 week preemie. The episode argued against saving the baby, picturing it as being doomed to suffering, and a life of disability. This article was brought to my attention by a good friend

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1267878/VIRGINIA-IRONSIDE-Ill-vilified-shouldnt-let-nature-decide-premature-babies-survive.html#comments

The part where she says "Often there is a reason a child is born early - because they have either a disability or weakness. Isn't this mother nature's way of saying they are not meant for this world" I thought was particularly uninformed and harsh to say. There is no cure for pre-eclampsia, a dangerous condition for the mother where their blood pressure sky rockets, except delivering the baby often prematurely. This is some how the baby's problem? Nor is it the mothers fault. What happens during pre-eclampsia to cause this to happen? We don't know, I think we need to know. What scared me the most about this article was the pole. 50% of people who voted said that mother nature should be let to decide. Where should this line be drawn? Should heart attacks be left to nature? Spinal cord injuries? The morbidly obese? Stroke victims?

Yes, premature babies have a fight in front of them. Yes, it's often expensive, and hard. Yes, sometimes the outcomes are very poor. Does that mean we give up the fight? I remember not too long ago breast cancer wasn't all that survivable. I believe that the March of Dimes will find more causes for premature births. Better ways to treat, prevent and/or cure those causes, and decrease the rising numbers of premature births. I believe we can do better, better outcomes for the babies can be achieved. Please become more aware of prematurity. Fight the attitudes that are building in our society that these babies aren't worth it. Explain that better outcomes can and are being achieved. That instead of talking of doing nothing, lets do something! Lets get up and prevent the premature births in the first place. Lets fight for healthier babies with better outcomes.



Remember, those tiny tiny babies that are so sick and don't look like they're meant for this world.....






That's someone's child.
Their heart in that isolette.




No comments: