Thursday, December 17, 2009

Twelve Ounces & Three months

Twelve ounces! Over the past week Evan has started amoxicillin and is feeling better. We know better than to give him high fat foods, and he's been an eating machine. We haven't used his feeding tube AT ALL for the past 4 days, and during the past week he's put on 12 oz! He still has a long way to go to be a professional eater. I'd say his skills are probably close to a 8-9month olds. He's primarily drinking his milk, some juice (VRUIT, if anyone's wondering), and yogurt, we LOVE yogurt. He's spoon feeding himself almost everything, and his skills with solids are improving. We used to have to scoop around the chunks in yogurt, now they go down. Toast is also the "In" thing the past couple of days, and he's swallowing some of that too. I'd say most of it, goes in, gets chewed and then gets spit back out, but he's not gagging on those little fine crumbs that come with toast, and that's HUGE. His teachers at ECFE thought he looked like he was "pudging up" this week.....I'm so proud. He's still too light for my liking, but as one of my coworkers said "yeah, well you probably won't be happy until he's a linebacker"....they're probably right. For now I'm happy we're eating, growing, playing, developing....life is good.

I called Evan's GI doctor's office today....I'm starting to think were actually on the path to getting rid of this tube....FINALLY. I wanted to know when they thought it could come out (his GI doc is 3 hours from here, and we don't see him all that often). They said nothing could go through the tube for 3 months, no meds nothing. Well, Evan has been taking his tylenol, amoxicillin etc by mouth for the last few days as well. I hope the next three months go like the last 4 days have *crossing fingers and toes*, if so, the tube is coming out, and the party's at our house! I'm trying to stay a bit grounded in all of this too, I know that this entire journey has been ups and downs with a slow general trend in the up direction....for the most part....some set backs are bigger than others I guess. But a girl can hope right? I feel like I can....hope, that is, for this tube to come out, and I couldn't always say that.

In other news we're busy trying to redo the office. My dad made us an awesome oak book shelf to hang on the wall, which I'm staining tonight. We're painting the walls a fresh new color, stephan made some curtains, and we're sorting through things. I can't wait till it's done. The office has been pretty much unusable for way to long now. It's time it gets straightened out.

Hope you're all having a great holiday season.

No comments: